Not everyone would have tasted pomegranate juice or even the pomegranate fruit itself. Up until recently pomegranates would not have been found in your local supermarkets
or shop. I would go as far as saying that you probably would have had to go to a specialized fruit shop or Asian store to find the fruit. So as you can tell it was only recently that I tasted this fruit. I have been very surprised lately at how many pomegranate products I can now find on the shelves of my local shops. I think this is to do with the health benefits that are being attributed to this fruit.
The medical industry has been leaking out some results from all the clinical tests that have been done on the fruit. The results from these tests have been impressive and the medical industry has called the pomegranate a super fruit. This is probably due to the high levels of antioxidants that the fruit has been found to contain. So what are the health benefits that this superfruit holds:
* As stated the pomegranate has a very high concentration of antioxidants. It has nearly 3 times the antioxidant levels of any other fruit. For anyone that doesn’t know, antioxidants are needed to help the body fight free radicals. This can be very important in a body’s fight against flu’s, diseases and even some cancers.
* The antioxidants in the pomegranate fruit can help to lower high blood pressure but it can also help to reduce the bad cholesterol levels in your body.
* The research and tests have shown the the fruit is very good at promoting anti-aging properties. Some people eat the fruit or drink the fruit juice for this reason only.
* The high levels of antioxidants help to promote cardiovascular health. It has also shown to reduce your chances of getting heart disease or even having a stroke.
* The phytochemicals in the fruit and fruit juice help the body to fight against some cancers. The juice from the fruit has shown positive results against prostate and breast cancer.
Doctors have recommended drinking 8 ounces of pomegranate juice on a daily basis to help you get the full benefits of the fruit. The fruit is easy to find now that it comes in juices, smoothies, jams and herbal teas. So if you want to add the fruit to your weekly shopping list then you have no excuse not to.